Maria Montessori stated that “education is assistance to life. The Montessori system is an established educational approach in elementary education, and has a strong presence in Chennai. However, it has mainly served students attending private schools catering to children from elite families.
Sri Ramacharan Trust first began working with a Corporation school in Mylapore, hoping to help improve the school through a partnership. From offering tuitions, and placing a special teacher in the school, the project developed into a concerted effort to improve teaching and learning at the Kindergarten level. Sri Ramacharan approached Centre for Montessori Training – Chennai (CMT-C) to provide a trained teacher at the Mylapore school to jumpstart the improvement efforts. Slowly, the program grew into a Kindergarten-wide Montessori program and currently Sri Ramacharan has established, maintain and support 38 classrooms across 10 Schools in Chennai benefitting over a 1000 children each year.
- Chennai Middle School, Saidapet
- Chennai Primary School, MGR Nagar
- Chennai Primary School, Royapettah
- Chennai Primary School, Choolaimedu
- Chennai Primary School, Thideer Nagar
- Chennai Primary School, Rangarajapuram
- Chennai Primary School, New Washermanpet
- Chennai Primary School, Puliyur, Chennai Primary School, Market Road, MGR Nagar
- Chennai Primary School, Kottur
- Balwadis in Saidapet, Luz, Thiruvanmiyur